This from an occasional reader. Puts everything into perspective. Too cute? Or just very clever.
* U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000
* Fed budget: $3,820,000,000,000
* New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000
* National debt: $14,271,000,000,000
* Recent budget cuts: $ 38,500,000,000
Let's now remove 8 zeros and pretend it's a household budget:
* Annual family income: $21,700
* Money the family spent: $38,200
* New debt on the credit card: $16,500
* Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
* Total budget cuts: $385
Interestingly, I just found a web site that calls itself the U.S. National Debt Clock, and it says that outstanding public debt of the United States as of July 19 is $15.9 trillion, even larger than the number reported above. Well, well.